Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Players' Bios

Proudly, introducing the players!

Shannon, Protagonist
Shannon is the spearhead of this project, who has decided to experiment with  being an open book and trusting in her friends to write a chapter of her life for a month. She hails from MO, via Bmore, and now is in Boise. She is an educator, biker, dancer, creative type who likes to write a bit, loves her friends and family a lot, and really loves ice cream.







Cous cHAd, Project Manager
 cHAd would like to formally announce his role as "Project Manager"

Qualifications: managed to raise a guinea pig for a few years as well as managing the life of some bamboo in his apartment when he had one.

Send your chapters to him (ZeesGuy aka Shannon "The Wonder" Twenter's cousin Chad)







Char (also our January Wild Card), Confidant

While I can easily describe how I know Shannon (aka 'the river'), I can only speculate as to why she did me the honor of including me in this project. Our roots go all the way back to the mid-90s, when we shared a bus ride together from Dublin airport at the start of our short and sweet semester abroad in Ireland. Later a shared love for Smithwicks (and other similar beverages) solidified our friendship. Like Shannon, I'm a bit of a rolling stone, and started moving across the States, and now from country to country.  But varying distances across space and time have failed to shake the foundations of that friendship. We've managed to share clothes, careers, books, beers, poetry, and cheers for over 15 years (often in pubs and apartments scattered throughout the east coast). I suppose the fact that I can read and write English qualifies me to make a contribution to this OpenBook project.

Nicole, Maestro

Shannon and I became friends ten years ago.  Connected, initially and fittingly, by our work as opportunity advocates for youth in Baltimore City.  I can't begin to put words to all that Shannon adds to my life.  What I can say is that it's infinitely richer, more joyful, and more full of heart and fun:  Dawson's Creek reenactments, Tour de France/Bike Jam, Beyonce, Bay Bridge Runs, cinnamon rolls with frisbee golf, soaking wet Western Maryland hikes, decked out Oscar nights in my apartment, camping trips to the Pocono Islands in January, Cameran....She reminds me how beautifully human it is to be a thoughtful woman in the world in search of meaning, peace, and happiness.

I live in Baltimore with my dog, Townes.


Amy, Writing Advisor

Official Bio to Come: We like to dance, write, and visit places like Marfa, TX. So we are friends. She lives on a lovely block in Bmore -once down the block from our fabulous love chapter writer. She can be found creating some environmental change with Univ. of MD, writing up a storm for publiations to be named, and dancin' a tango in Fell's Point.






Kristina, Travel Visionary

While Shannon and I do not share an extended history together, that should not discount our bond. I met Shannon five years ago while we were both teaching in Baltimore City. When our paths first crossed, Shannon was my mentor, an experienced educator who not only engaged at-risk adolescents in the process of education but could also inspire and challenge these youth to become productive members of society. Then over an impromptu happy hour one day after work (where so many great ideas are born), Shannon and I joined forces and conceived the project Life’s Hardest Things. This collaborative effort spanned our relative disciplines and pointed to themes of tolerance, diversity, change, and growth. And so our friendship blossomed from there.  


THE WRITERS

August: Perspective While Present Writer, Paul
I would like to paraphrase something from The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy, "Vell, [he's] just zis guy, you know?"









August: Perspective While Present Non-Labeled Contributor,  Mindy
I am honored to write a chapter for August. Shannon and I have known each other since before we were born (our parents were friends and pregnant at the same time). We have had many of adventure and amazing times together. From crashing a double bike into garden bushes, selling magazines dressed in 70's clothes, singing in a band called The Pickles, publishing our own newspaper, carpooling and navigating high school together, taking road trips and sharing life's ups and downs as adults. I am blessed to have Shannon in my life and lucky to call her a friend.

September: Faith Writer, Kellie
Met at Sylvan Beach Foundation as coworkers. Grew into friends over ice cream, family/faith conversations, and shared love of what we do. Continues her glory as a soulful singer. Now a fabulous music teacher and mother of 1 and 1 more in September.








September: Faith Wild Card, Dawn

I have been friends with Shannon for over 2o years.  We never went to school together, but worked at a movie theater together.  I have always had what I feel to be a strong faith in God and have made it through some really difficult situations because of strength I found through Him.  I am not Catholic, so Shannon's family always referred to me (in a joking way) as Shannon's Pagan friend.







October: Love Writer, Paige


"What will survive of us is love." Hearts on sleeves are good things, skywriting declarations of adoration are totally underrated, and telling that someone who doesn't love him or herself that there is a lot to love is Paige's credo. At home in Baltimore with husband Alex and adored son Ezra, Paige works to keep her heart open with her students at Roland Park Country School, where she is ninth grade dean. For ten years, she has created a list of favorite things (nod to Julie Andrews). Shannon is on the list.






October: Love Wild Card, Bob
Bob LaPointe is a critical care nurse who works as a Clinical Nurse Leader at the VA hospital in Philadelphia. He and Shannon met through a tribe of friends in the glorious post-college-days haze that was Baltimore, way back around the turn of the century. He now lives with his wife and three kids in South Jersey. He does not blog. Yet. 
 November: Career Writer, Laurie

Official Bio to Come. First job out of college I met Laurie in NYC where we worked, socialized, and lived together. She is strength defined. Mother of 1, beautiful soul, and social worker/advocate/ PhD candidate extraordinaire. 






November: Career Wild Card, Trisha

Official Bio to Come. Will always be referred to as my roommate. Has added so much to my life in adventure, travel, talks, education, and finding anew. Only time I was asked by a bar to stop karaoking was with Trisha.





December: Creativity Writer, Erin

I am an artist, teacher and manic creative from Kansas City Missouri. Shannon picked me for December/Creative because I am fearlessly devoted to following my own creative path regardless of the results or where that might lead me in ten years. Nothing is impossible or out of my reach. Following my own creative path introduced me to Shannon. She was and still is a warm sun that reminds me to be the best person I can be.







December: Creativity Wild Card, Krista 


I am an outdoor enthusiast who works for a trails organization and hopes to inspire the next generation of trail users, outdoor leaders, and environmental stewards. I have also had the honor of meeting some amazing people in my life and good friendships are valuable to me.  I do my best to keep in touch with friends by writing letters, printing Valentine’s cards, and sending solstice and New Year’s updates. I know that getting something in the mail that is not junk mail or a bill will make the recipient smile. So every time I create something for a friend I know my time is well spent.

January: Theme TBD/Home/Commitment/Confidence Writer, Crystal

 I've known Shannon for... could it be a decade now? We met in Baltimore, thanks to Nicole Y. My earliest memories of Shannon are fuzzy, but some things stand out: that she wore a dress that she had made herself, her smile, that she played ice hockey (wow), Fluid Movement, her struggle to find not only work but a vocation, her cool friend Trisha (birds of a feather flock together), and that she seemed entirely unaware of how attractive she was. I mean: that bone structure! But my strongest early memories of Shannon have nothing to do with events or places, so much as they have to do with her inspiring warmth and openness to people, experience, and the world.

Honestly, I don't know why Shannon picked me - I'm intimidated by this! - but I'm guessing that she knows how much I appreciate and admire her and how much I hope for her happiness and fulfillment. And I suppose that, as a philosophy professor, I should know a little bit about what it might mean to live life well.

About me: female, nearing 40, living in Vermont w/dog, husband, & job. 

January: Theme TBD/Home/Commitment/Confidence  Wild Card, Charlotte

While I can easily describe how I know Shannon (aka 'the river'), I can only speculate as to why she did me the honor of including me in this project. Our roots go all the way back to the mid-90s, when we shared a bus ride together from Dublin airport at the start of our short and sweet semester abroad in Ireland. Later a shared love for Smithwicks (and other similar beverages) solidified our friendship. Like Shannon, I'm a bit of a rolling stone, and started moving across the States, and now from country to country.  But varying distances across space and time have failed to shake the foundations of that friendship. We've managed to share clothes, careers, books, beers, poetry, and cheers for over 15 years (often in pubs and apartments scattered throughout the east coast). I suppose the fact that I can read and write English qualifies me to make a contribution to this OpenBook project.

Roles still being determined based OR advisees on monthly areas:

Dana? - Areas of expertise: Present while Perspective, Love

Official Bio to Come. Often refer to her as my person. She and I met in Phillie often as our 1/2-way point between Bmore and NJ. Now we are both west. She, husband Dave, brave dog CC live in CO and are hiking it up and living it simple. Always game for some coffee, newspaper reading, LL Cool J visits, and a restaurant walking tour.




Beth - Areas of expertise: career, love


Official Bio to Come: Met in Bmore as educators. Spent time seeking target rich environments, water balleting on/off land, and making vision boards. Holding a place in her antler-filled garage for my kayak in Severna Park, MD with husband Ryan, daughter Kate, and pup Brady.





























No comments:

Post a Comment